Brenntag to distribute two product lines from Umicore in the USA and Canada
Brenntag North America, Inc., part of the Brenntag Group, has been appointed as the exclusive distributor of Valirex catalysts for unsaturated polyester resins (UPR) and Valikat catalysts for polyurethanes from Umicore Specialty Materials Brugge NV in the USA and Canada.
“The Umicore UPR & PU catalyst product lines are an exciting addition to our ACES (Adhesives, Coatings, Elastomers, Sealants) portfolio,” said Ted Davlantes, ACES Director for Brenntag North America. “Distributing these products in North America will enable our team of technical sales professionals to meet the demands of new product development and the challenges of new regulations.”
New catalysts include:
- Valirex Co: accelerators for UPR based on cobalt, available in concentrations between 1 % and 21 %, and a variety of solvents such as white spirit, xylene, TXIB, and DINP
- Valirex K15 DEG: booster for cobalt accelerators in UPR
- Valirex Cu 8 D60: exotherm peak reducer for UPR curing
- Valikat Bi, Valikat Zn, and Valikat ZB: catalysts based on bismuth and zinc for polyurethanes, replacing tin and mercury-based catalysts, which are available in multiple concentrations
- Valikat DCC: delayed cure catalysts for polyurethane, mimicking the effect of mercury
“Umicore has realized a tremendous growth in its sales of catalysts for PU and UPR within the past five years, taking clear market leadership in its product range in Europe. It is a logical step to expand our geographical footprint toward North America, and we believe Brenntag is the best possible collaborator to make a success story out of it,” said Jensen Verhelle, Business Line Manager Carboxylates at Umicore.
Umicore’s manufacturing and R&D is located in Bruges, Belgium, and supplies catalysts for a variety of industries, including paints and coatings, inks, adhesives, sealants, elastomers, insulating materials, PU flexible foam, artificial stone, and gel coats.