Insulated structural wall panels offer an alternative to site-built framing
Covestro LLC is partnering with residential homebuilders and panelizers throughout the USA to implement PUReWall panels in the residential construction marketplace. This new insulated structural wall panel technology is being showcased at the International Builders' Show (IBS) from 9 – 11 January 2018 in Orlando, FL, USA.
According to the company, the design of PUReWall panels replaces traditional exterior sheathing and house wrap with a combination of polyisocyanurate (polyiso) continuous insulation on the exterior and structural spray polyurethane foam (SPF) in the wall cavity. The panels are manufactured at a panelization facility, in a controlled environment, and installed at the construction site. This alleviates jobsite workforce bottlenecks, produces less waste, requires less wood use and results in a faster framing time for builders, said Covestro. The panels also provide the following advantages:
- Increased R-value and decreased air infiltration, contributing to a higher Home Energy Rating System (HERS) index score.
- Produces a wall assembly that passes ASTM E331 with an integrated weather-resistant barrier featuring polyiso board with coated glass facers on both sides and taped joints backed by at least 1.5 inches of closed cell spray foam.
- Scalable to provide thermal performance in the wall assembly as part of an overall building envelope approach making PUReWall panels suitable to use in a Net-Zero capable structure
- Adaptable to meet all Climate Zone U values in IRC 2015
- Adaptable to meet California’s Title 24 energy efficiency code requirements
- Has minimal potential for condensation in the wall assembly in both hot/humid and cold climates versus conventional wall assemblies
PUReWall panels are available in a range of configurations to meet advancing building codes in any US climate zone, with demonstration panels for each located at the Covestro booth:
- PUReWall 60: U-0.060 (R-17) for Climate Zones 1-5 in IRC 2015 [2x4 construction with framing 16 or 24” on center (o.c.), 1” polyiso continuous insulation, 1.5” spray polyurethane foam insulation]
- PUReWall 45: U-0.045 (R-22) for Climate Zones 6-8 in IRC 2015 [2x4 construction with framing 16 or 24” o.c., 2” polyiso, 1.5” spray polyurethane foam insulation]
- PUReWall T24: U-0.052 (R-20) for California Title 24 requirements [2x4 construction with framing 16 or 24” o.c., 1.5” polyiso, 1.5” spray polyurethane foam insulation]
- PUReWall 30: U-0.030 (R-33) for beyond code wall assemblies for aspirational building designs, such as Net-Zero ready [2x6 construction with framing 16 or 24” o.c., 2” polyiso, 2.0” spray polyurethane foam insulation and fiberglass batt]