Engineering urethane elastomers for extreme working conditions
Huntsman Tecnoelastomeri has introduced a range of customisable, MDI-based hot cast elastomers. The Tecnothane VTER series is described as being exceptionally resilient polyurethane materials for the manufacture of wheels, castors and industrial parts, which need to be equipped to perform in extreme working conditions. Easy to process compared to NDI-based technologies, the new series includes six elastomer solutions which can be adapted to match customer-specific requirements. As standard the products offer very good tear and cut resistance plus high rebound and very low hysteresis properties.
Wheels made with these elastomers are less inclined to generate heat and because of the material’s very low hysteresis require less energy to operate. This makes them ideal for high speed, high frequency applications and heavy-duty, high load tasks where friction can be a problem. Castors, wheels and parts based on Tecnothane VTER elastomers also perform well in cold storage warehouses where the temperature is frequently sub-zero - giving supply chain managers the confidence that moving components of stock transfer, stacking and picking equipment will stay reliable, even in very cold environments.
Simone Breviglieri, Techno-Commercial Manager, at Huntsman Tecnoelastomeri, said: “When we developed our Tecnothane VTER family of elastomers we had a very clear vision in mind. We knew the market was looking for an alternative to NDI-based hot cast elastomer systems that could offer comparable performance properties. Combining the best of our MDI chemistry with our hot cast elastomers expertise, we’ve created a range of products, which are available globally, and are designed to withstand extreme working conditions across a range of markets and applications.”
The six products available in the Tecnothane range are:
- VTER N: Designed to satisfy various end-use applications, this multi-purpose product is based on a three-component system and has hardness properties that can be adjusted according to the mix ratio.
- VTER V: This elastomer is ideal for the production of bumpers and can be used in other applications where high frequency stress is the norm. It can also perform well at low temperatures - remaining elastic down to -40 °C.
- VTER R: This three-component system is well suited to the production of large wheels. Easy to process and handle after curing, this elastomer offers outstanding physical and mechanical properties including excellent tear resistance and rebound.
- VTER E: Developed with the production of high performance wheels in mind, this three-component elastomer offers very low hysteresis and outstanding tear resistance and rebound properties.
- VTER H: This two-component system is a high hardness material that copes very well in high load situations and is recommended for the development of wheels used on automatic guided vehicles and in automated warehousing applications.
- VTER M: Capable of withstanding high load and high-speed operating conditions this easy to process, high performance elastomer performs best in very heavy load wheel applications e.g., on monorails.