Rampf: Polyurethane and epoxy materials for the casting industry
Rampf Tooling Solutions is showcasing epoxy and polyurethane materials for pattern and mould making at Gifa 2019 (hall 15, stand 15C25) from 25 – 29 June 2019 in Düsseldorf, Germany. The company has been developing and producing epoxy and PU systems for the casting industry since 2006. The products under the Raku Tool brand are used to manufacture initial samples and in both small- and large-scale series production.
Amongst others, Rampf is showcasing a Raku Tool WB-1258 pattern plate used to produce a fan housing. Thanks to its outstanding abrasion resistance, the polyurethane board can be used to produce well over 100,000 replications, said the company. This was previously only possible with liquid systems, which involve a complex manufacturing process and higher costs, or with metals. The board material can be used to manufacture core boxes and pattern plates that ensure production is fast and simple, while also maintaining good abrasion resistance, dimensional stability, and dimensional accuracy. The core box / pattern plate is milled directly using CAD data, which ensures highly accurate models. This dimensionally stable PU board material is easy to process, and changes can be made with ease, said Rampf. The product is said to offer minimal sand adhesion and very good resistance to chemicals, and there is no swelling. The company also offers an adhesive in a matching colour.
Another highlight is the Raku Tool WB-1404 three-part core box used to manufacture a turbine housing. The versatile polyurethane board for moulds and tools is said to provide:
- Good resistance to amines and styrenes
- Good abrasion resistance
- Outstanding ability to withstand cleaning with dry ice
- High degree of polishability
- High compressive modulus
- Low coefficient of thermal expansion
Besides being suitable for foundry models, pattern plates, and core boxes, the material can also be used in testing equipment for metal parts, models and moulds for polyester and composite applications, hammer tools, vacuum forming moulds, and low-pressure RIM moulds.
Also on show is Rampf’s Raku Tool PC-3458 / PH-3958 face casting system. Thanks to the high replication quantities supported, the three-component face casting system is particularly well suited to the large-scale series production of core boxes and pattern plates.
- Raku Tool PC-3458 / PH-3958 offers good abrasion resistance and can be used to produce over 170,000 replications. It is the only system with a heat deflection temperature (HDT-B) of 95 °C and is ready for use just one day after machining. It can be cast by hand up to a maximum of approximately 25 kg.
- Raku Tool PC-3459 / PH-3958 offers good abrasion resistance – accommodating over 80,000 replications – and is ready to be used after just five to seven days of RT curing. It has a heat deflection temperature (HDT-B) of 65 °C and can be cast by hand up to a maximum of approximately 110 kg.
The replication volumes given may vary depending on operational circumstances, said Rampf.