Switch to

23. February 2021

THAILAND: SCG to start up Thailand’s ‘first’ plant to demonstrate chemical recycling

The Chemicals Business of SCG said it recently unveiled its new chemical recycling technology that can turn postconsumer plastics into renewable feedstock for petrochemical plants, and is set to start-up Thailand’s “first” demonstration plant. Located in SCG’s Rayong complex, the demonstration unit will produce approximately 4,000 t/y of renewable feedstock, with plans for future expansion. Start-up is expected by the second half of this year.

SCG’s advanced technology utilizes catalyst to promote energy savings and environmental friendliness for the recycling process, such as lower process temperature. The plant is intended to offer a sustainable solution for post-consumer plastic management and harness renewable feedstock for SCG’s petrochemical facilities, SCG noted.

SCG has partnered with a technology start-up to co-develop the recycling technology and establish a new joint venture, Circular Plas Co. Ltd., which will operate the plastic recycling business. SCG’s Chemicals Business will hold a 60 % stake in Circular Plas, while the partner will hold the remaining 40 % interest.

Source: Weekly “PetroChemical News”, Durham, NC, USA; 22 Feb 2021
(Syed Rashid Ali, Karachi, Pakistan)

Write a comment on this article now