AirBoss: Acquisition of Ace Elastomer
On 18 August 2021, AirBoss of America Corp. announced that it has agreed to acquire 100 % ownership of Ace Elastomer, Inc., a custom rubber compounder with facilities in Rock Hill, SC, and Chicago, IL, USA.
Pursuant to the Agreement, AirBoss Rubber Solutions (ARS) will acquire Ace for approximately USD 42.5 million, to be satisfied in cash upon closing. The transaction is subject to customary closing conditions and is expected to close during the Q3 2021. Ace’s President, founder and majority owner, Russell Foster, and the existing management team will all remain with Ace in their current capacities following the closing of the acquisition.
- Increases ARS’ proprietary colour and speciality rubber compounding capacity, complementing investments made by AirBoss in colour and speciality compounding with the addition of two new dedicated lines in Kitchener, ON, Canada, in 2019
- Significantly accelerates ARS’ strategy to expand from traditional black, high volume product lines into lower volume but typically higher margin colour and speciality markets
- Expands ARS’ reach into the US South and Mid-West
- Minimal overlap in customer-base presents opportunities for revenue synergies
- Establishes market leading position for ARS in the rubber roll market
- Transaction is expected to have an immediate positive impact on EBITDA and earnings per share, with potential for cost and revenue synergies to be realised across ARS in future years.
Headquartered in Rock Hill, SC, USA, Ace provides design, formulation development, and custom mixing of proprietary elastomer compounds across the natural and synthetic rubber range. Ace offers a full range of custom mix compounds for many industries including the roller, belting, and printing industries and for custom moulding and extrusion applications.
“Ace specialises in coloured rubber compounds, a key focus area of growth for ARS. We expect this acquisition to propel AirBoss into a market leading position in colour and speciality compounding while providing immediate access to a customer-base in key targeted regional U.S. markets,” said Chris Bitsakakis, President and COO of AirBoss. “As we begin the process of welcoming the great people at Ace into the AirBoss family we will continue to assess further M&A opportunities that can complement our organic growth strategy by accelerating penetration of our color and specialty compounding business into key U.S. markets.”
“As part of ARS, one of North America’s leading custom rubber compounders, Ace will benefit from access to AirBoss’s global supply chain expertise, leading R&D infrastructure, application experience and blue-chip customer relationships,” said Foster. “Like ARS, Ace’s focus is on working successfully with customers across multiple channels to develop innovative and proprietary solutions and deliver high quality compounds, while operating in an environmentally responsible manner. We’re excited to work with ARS and take advantage of the minimal overlap we have in our combined customer base by expanding the available products and solutions we can offer.”